Thursday, January 10, 2013

SharePoint 2013: The given key was not present in the dictionary error

This post relates to service accounts and SharePoint 2013 installation.

We have the following accounts created for SharePoint installation.

  • sp_install (For initial installtion)
  • sp_farm (For accessing content db's, application pool etc)
  • sp_sql (To run SQL services)
While running the configuration wizard we started getting this error.

"The given key was not present in the dictionary Error"
We looked at many posts online but this is what we did to fix. Just wanted to share. (from some other blog).
  1. Go into Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in
  2. Click View…Advanced Features on the menu
  3. Find my service account in the directory
  4. Right-click on it and select Properties from the menu
  5. Click on the Security tab
  6. Click on Authenticated Users in the top part of the dialog
  7. Check the Read box in the Allow column
  8. Click the OK button to save the changes

 We did these configuration changes in active directoy and then got the installation successful.


    1. Hi

      Excellent post - i am also getting this issue when we try to register the sp_portAppPool account as in New-SPManagedAccount : The given key was not present in the dictionary. This begs the question as which accounts don't have this setting>

    2. Another way to get this error is if you try to access a web application that you have no permission to. This happened to me in a PowerShell script and it led me here...but I stopped short of asking my IT dept to do this because I wanted to know exactly what URL was throwing this odd error. Sure enough, it was one that I had forgotten to drop myself into the User Policy for.